Sometime ago I've read some criticism about google groups and someone
proposed to create a forum for web2py.

I've a different idea. We could create a web2py group on reddit and
use it both as a source of news on the web2py world and also as a
forum (do you know ask reddit or Ask HN?).

Imho reddit can replace a forum:
1) It have popular topics;
2) Most commented topics;
3) Newest topics;
4) a user can save some topic that is particularly interesting for
him;
5) there is the search form
6) user can vote the most popular topics
7) We can add our own domain in the settings of the group.
8) We can change the style of the page.