On Dec 4, 9:45 am, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Hi Dimitri,
>
> A few months back, Hans, Tim, Jonathan helped port most (if not all)
> the docstrings to Sphinx. Tim also wrote a script to generate Sphinx
> documentation from the docstrings (which in web2py/doc/

Yes - Tim nicely proposed a system of minimum documentation per
function;

I slightly modified the build structure Tim put up, and started on one
gluon file, and found answering the questions necessary for
documenting the functions was often hard (because what the functions
did was not clear enough, or dependencies were not).

I spent a _lot_ of time on one file, then gave up;   current epydoc's
content are a level beneath the standards Tim suggested (http://
projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/CodingStyleGuidelines)

In particular, the sections this recommends - and which I
wholeheartedly supported, particularly a meaningful subset to get
web2py started on the path to staying "well documented" was this
outline (for example) for functions:

1. summary
2. extended summary (optional)
3. see also
4. references
5. examples

Part of summary was to include methods:  signature (parameters,
defaults, error handling), Wirfs-Brock basic CRC info (what the
function / class responsibilities are [behaviors/data], what it
depended on; who was known to depend on it.

This information proved hard to pull together.

So, this call - while welcomed - is not a technical / "who will do the
work" issue, rather one of getting to the structure which Tim
suggested (what does it realistically take?), a clear listing of what
is needed for standard documentation, and probalby for starters (as
recent "wtf" comments point out)   a simpler annotation / commenting
of the code to HELP get this started.

What is at stake:

A fundamental standard for web2py.
Understanding what parts of the system are intended to do will provide
a path to peer reviews, and provide a consistent standard for modules,
additions from others.

Generating "compiled" web2py documentation, both on the gluon / core
methods, and on contributed components, will result in consistent, up-
to-date documentation --- something that has repeatedly been requested
by the community.

Since this (sphinx effort) ground to a halt, I would point out that:

-- I believe Sphinx continues to be a good vehicle for auto-generated
documentation about a "current" web2py, with changes and contribution
(DenesL has back-filled this with persistent posts in this group w/
new features since the last book);

-- I believe the recent discussions on commenting the code is an
IMPORTANT BRIDGE to getting to the documentation standards that we
will be able to keep to and maintain (and where our first effort
should go)

-- I believe that numpy may have more stringent reasons for
documentation;  we should get a small web2py users team together to
identify the following:

   -- what should the web2py doc / testcase standards be which will
facilitate uniform and current documentation;
   -- what (if any) smaller, less ambitious subset of the above should
be implemented first, so that some uniform documentation can be
delivered which is still useful (but not up to what we want) in the
interim;  a transition plan to the final should be in place;

--  I believe the doc standards should apply to gluon and contrib
first;
-- I believe applications should be held to the documentation
standards, and welcome and admin and examples should be the first to
implement / test these;
--  I believe modules and plugins should be held to the documentation
standards;
-- The minimum format for [a] gluon and core contributions, [b]
applications, and [c] plugins and modules may slightly vary, but
should be uniform enough that they will generate a coherent,
consistent document;
-- That any web2py installation should include an app which will
generate (script) documents for a particular installation:
   --- one for admins (core),
   --- one for app developers and maintainers (core + plugins &
modules and apps),
   --- one for users (user level app helps / faq).

In this way, any web2py installation will have a starting set of
documentation that will be current to the configuration and
contributions that installation picked.

Perhaps for user FAQ / HELP, this should be a module which starts it's
info from static data (Sphinx), but is extensible from use (which
would give the developer a way to review and improve his/her design),
and a user-submitted, application specific "ticket" system).  This
would be a useful module (and can wait until the basic documentation
standards, and generation are in place).

Perhaps we can extend the "static" nature of the sphinx docs in some
way to collect comments for a particular doc.

Finally, I think we should start by outline / commenting the basic
gluon and contrib sets - perhaps have a comment standard so we can
extract initial info which to start the doc process from.

Your thoughts?

Regards,
- Yarko