Hi Graham,
I have configured an Apache+web2py corretcly in VPS hosting, but I'd
like to give a try to Nginx (I tried to set it up but without success),
could you give us an example configuration of Nginx+Apache+web2py? My
Apache conf (now) its the typical one with the DaemonProcess,
ProcessGroup and ScriptAlias...

Thanks
Alex F

El 09/11/2009 22:58, Graham Dumpleton escribió:

> On Nov 10, 3:10 am, Thadeus Burgess<thade...@thadeusb.com>  wrote:
>
>> I use apache on virtualhost at slicehost running multiple web2py
>> virtualhosts.
>>
>> With one web2py instance, my server stands at around 90MB average for
>> memory, it *might* spike up to 115MB if I start some ram caching, however my
>> reports have never reported anything higher. I am running apache with
>> mod_wsgi. Also I havn't seen anything faster :) I would say it's a toss up
>> between "Just Working" and "A couple more microseconds".
>>
> The important thing is to use daemon mode of mod_wsgi on memory
> constrained systems and not embedded mode. Although Apache is slower
> at serving static files than nginx or Cherokee, if configured
> correctly you wouldn't expect to see much difference for your actual
> web2py application requests. This is because the underlying web server
> isn't going to be the bottleneck. Instead the performance bottleneck
> is going to be your web2py code and the database access.
>
> FWIW, a good middle ground is to use nginx as front end to Apache/
> mod_wsgi (daemon mode). The nginx server will serve static files and
> proxy everything else to Apache. This gives benefit of fast static
> file serving from nginx and nginx will also isolate Apache from slow
> HTTP clients due to how nginx buffers request/responses. This means
> that Apache is only bothered for absolute minimum time required to
> handle request and thus can do more with less Apache processes/threads
> and thus less memory.
>
> Graham
>

>> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 5:45 AM, David<digitalcry...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> I recently setup a VPS host over at Santrex.net for testing web2py.
>>> It took me about two shifts to get Cherokee installed and running with
>>> Web2Py.  What a pain.  For those others that seemed to miss
>>> "libcherokee-mod-libssl" that was a painful  lesson that could have
>>> been remarked elsewhere and saved a lot of time.
>>>

>>> One of the things I noticed was that while working on the server that
>>> sometimes I could get the HTML source output starting with a "0"
>>> followed by the headers and then the page content.  Ultimately this
>>> would cause an error and the page would fail to load.   I noticed this
>>> happened about every 10th request or sooner depending on the speed at
>>> which I was moving through the site.
>>>

>>> Fed up with this problem, I decided to install Apache server and
>>> configure a VirtualHost.  This installation took about 20 minutes
>>> including apt-get, ssl gen, and virtualhost setup etc.  It also works
>>> flawlessly even though it is a touch slower for what I am working on
>>> right now.
>>>

>>> Do any other people here use Cherokee?  Is it worth my time to chase
>>> down this page display problem?  The only drawbacks for Apache with me
>>> are the default memory configuration issues (it's a pig out of the box
>>> on a vps and limited if your memory is limited) and that it happens to
> [...]

Alejandro Fanjul Fdez.
alex.fan...@gmail.com
www.mhproject.org