Massimo - here are my test results

I modified gluon/widget.py to include the following

    # ## Starts cron daemon

    if cron and not options.nocron:
        print 'Starting cron...'
        print 'cron = '+str(cron)
        print 'options.nocron = '+str(options.nocron)
        contrib.cron.crontype = 'hard'
        cron = contrib.cron.hardcron()
        cron.start()

When I run python web2py.py -W start I get:

    python web2py.py -W start
    default applications appear to be installed already
    web2py Enterprise Web Framework
    Created by Massimo Di Pierro, Copyright 2007-2009
    Version 1.73.1 (2009-12-07 07:55:13)
    Database drivers available: SQLite3, PostgreSQL, MSSQL/DB2
    Starting cron...
    cron = True
    options.nocron = False
    Starting service web2py

I have setup a cron task to simply insert the current datetime into a
database table once a minute (hey I'm impatient).
Results:
    web2py server - not running as service: Cron works as expected
    web2py server - running as a service: Cron tasks do NOT work
    python web2py.py -C -D 1 >> cron_log.log : Cron works as expected

This is on WindowsXP with current trunk (rev 11) from the google hg
repo.

~Brian