OK, while how to move forward is being worked out, I thought I'd
provide a clear answer for anyone using the mercurial repo who can't
get create app to work.

Problem:
You have cloned the mercurial repository and cannot create a new app
from site admin. Error message: Unable to create application "your app
name"

Cause:
Application creation looks for a file called welcome.w2p in the top-
level web2py/ directory. This file is not included in the mercurial
repository.

Current Solution:
The Easy Way:
1) From the site admin screen, "clean" the Welcome app (to get rid of
any unnecessary session, cache, etc files that may be there)
2) From the site admin screen, click the "pack all" link under the
Welcome app
3) Your browser will download a file called "web2py.app.welcome.w2p"
save this file to your top-level web2py/ folder as "welcome.w2p"
4) Create your new application from the site admin screen.

The Harder Way
1) From the site admin screen, clean the welcome app (to get rid of
any unnecessary session, cache, etc files that may be there)
2) Create a tar.gz file of the *contents* of the applications/welcome
folder and call it welcome.w2p
   Note that you don't want the "welcome" folder itself to be included
in the tar.gz file - you just want the sub-folders (cache/,
controllers/, cron/, databases/, ..., views/, __init__.py).
3) Place the welcome.w2p file you just created in the top-level web2py
folder
4) Create your new application from the site admin screen.

Hope this helps someone.

~Brian