On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> The page has layout. pieces of the page loadad via ajax do not need to
> declare {{extend 'layout.hml'}} but they do have automatically the
> same look and feel because they are embedded in the same page that has
> the layout.

I have no page associated with the ajax call. The call is issued to a
function (a.k.a. action) that as no template associated with it:
@auth.requires_login()
def bg_find():
   return P('Hello')

The page that calls the "layout piece" to be loaded via ajax
faithfully reproduces what is on the book's wiki example. This is the
default/list_results.html (that I mistakenly named
default/results.html in my first email):
{{extend 'layout.html'}}

<h2>Results</h2>
{{=search_input}} <br />
{{=target_div}}

The function associated with this page also mirrors the example in the book:
@auth.requires_login()
def list_results():
   search_input=INPUT(_id='keyword', _onkeyup="ajax('bg_find',
['keyword'], 'target_div');")
   target_div=DIV(_id='target_div')
   return dict(search_input=search_input, target_div=target_div)

I'm sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm, not seeing it.
Miguel