I'd say it is a big that is stores username in the email field.
It should use a 'username' field.

I will look into this but for now my suggestion is edit tools and
change

        if 'username' in table_user.fields:
            username = 'username'
            tmpvalidator = IS_NOT_EMPTY(self.messages.is_empty)
        else:
            username = 'email'
            tmpvalidator = IS_EMAIL(self.messages.invalid_email)

into this

        username = 'email'
        tmpvalidator = IS_EMAIL(self.messages.invalid_email)

Sorry for this problem.