Mengu's right. While changing the format in web2py_ajax would make the
chosen date display in the format you wanted, upon submission the form
will be rejected because web2py wants only yyyy-mm-dd format. So if
you go that route you'd have to do some form processing yourself to
convert formats and probably not use SQLFORM.

Perhaps you could add an extra field that would be updated every time
the chosen date changed and have that field be in the correct format?
I know that jQuery UI's datepicker has an altField option built-in,
but I don't think the DynarchCalendar that web2py uses does. Maybe you
could create a widget that would use the jQuery UI calendar instead?

~Brian