When I startup web2py without a database, it creates it. When this
happens I wish to 'pre-load' some data for testing.
How do I create a user with a password?

I'm putting code in db.py like:

if  not db().select(db.auth_user.ALL): #database is empty
    import hashlib
    key = auth.settings.hmac_key

    #users
    userid = db.auth_user.insert(first_name='Joe',
        last_name='Hill',
        email='jh...@copper.net',
        password = hmac.new(key, 'jh', hashlib.sha512).hexdigest()
        )
    #groups
    clientgp = auth.add_group('client', '')
    #permissions
    auth.add_permission(clientgp,'create', 'product', 0)
    #links
    auth.add_membership(clientgp, userid)

which creates the user appropriately, but  the user:password does not
work.

Karl