Thank you.  So you are saying that each request basically does:

   sql BEGIN
   call appropriate controller function
   sql COMMIT if success

What I do not understand is:

  1) When called from cron, there is no automatic begin transaction,
so where does the begin come from?
  2) When my controller function calls commit, how do I get another
begin to make a new transaction?