What you describe here would not work. Tables have to be redefined (at
the web2py level) every time you need them. Therefore you must call
auth.define_tables() or, as far as web2py is concerned, they do not
exist. When you define them at the web2py level, if migrate=False,
web2py assumes thay also exist in the DB, if migrate=True it does not
assumes that and looks into the .table files.

Back to your original problem:

ProgrammingError: relation "auth_user" already exists

There are two possibilities:

1) the bla_bla_bale_auth_user.table file is missing or corrupted (but
I do not think so)

2) You have a custom auth_user in the wrong place in db.py (or with
wrong syntax) and the table gets defined twice. I am pretty sure this
is the case but I cannot point to the error if I do not see the code.

Massimo