Here is the problem. Perhaps you have a solution.

format is used to represent a record in a reference as a select/
option. Probably you have many of these records and you only want to
fetch columns that are necessary to build the representation.

By using format='%(first_name)s %(last_name)s' web can parse it and
easily figure out that you only need first_name and last_name.

My example above is convoluted but it allows you to create an
arbitrary representation and specify exactly which fields you need.

By using represent you are passing a (lambda) function. How would
web2py determine which columns to fetch? Should it fetch them all? It
could be slow.

Massimo