My motivation for developing Rocket wasn't speed as much as it was concurrency. wsgiserver drops to 9% of its max throughput when processing 25 concurrent connections and that drop continues downward as more concurrent connections happen**. In contrast, Rocket drops to 53% of its max at 25 concurrent connections and holds pretty steady around that even as you get into 500 concurrent connections. I haven't had enough patience to run a full test of wsgiserver at 500 concurrent connections...it's painful.

I've got to put a disclaimer on that "fassimoster" though. There is one instance where wsgiserver runs faster...that is with 1 active connection for one request at a time (with no keepalive). All other scenarios run faster. This is hardly a problem though because most of what we're interested are browsers that use keepalive in order to pipe-line requests.

The purpose of Rocket is to make something more AJAX-robust. Version 0.2 is out today. Take a look if you like:

http://launchpad.net/rocket

I am still interested to know if anyone uses web2py without an external webserver.

-tim

**YMMV - this is what I observed on my box.