Jason,
What's the syntax error?
Try this, it's untested but should be verbose enough to get you there.
If you have trouble perhaps provide a sample file (few dozen records)
that we can test against.

import csv
paint_formulas = csv.reader(csvfile)
header = None

#variable to store the paints we've already put in
#database (avoiding duplications and/or having to
#constantly query db)
paints = dict()

#variable to store the colorants already put in database
known_colorants = dict()

#these are the indexes that have colorant names
#we'll use them to help get all the colorants
colorant_indexes = [2,4,6,8,10]

for formula in paint_formulas:
    formula_colorants = [] #will hold the colorants in this formula,
however many there are
    if not header:
        header = formula #give value
        #and do nothing else cause it's just the column names
    else:
        #it's a paint formula
        name = row[0]
        base = row[1]
        #deal with the colorants
        for c in colorant_indexes:
            if row[c] <> None:
                colorant = row[c]
                amount = row[c+1] #next index is the amount
                #there's a colorant value to add
                if colorant in known_colorants:
                    #already have this colorant in the database
                    colorant_id = known_colorants[colorant]#retreive
id from our knowns
                else:
                    #new colorant, add to database
                    known_colorants[colorant]=db.colorant.insert
(name=colorant)
                    colorant_id = known_colorants[colorant]

                #now add to this formula's list of colorants
                formula_colorants.append(dict(id = colorant_id, amount
= amount))
            else:
                #no more colorants
                pass

        #add the paint
        if not name in paints:
            paints[name]=db.paint.insert(name=name)

            #then add each of the colorants
            for colorant in formula_colorants:
                db.paint_colorants.insert(paint_id=paints[name],
base_coat = base,
                    colorant_id=colorant[id], units = colorant
[amount])

Good Luck,
Brian