Is web2py suitable if I want to work with large datasets?

I am currently developing a database and want to use web2py to make it
available to the client.

Up to now I was using the shell and appadmin interfaces to the databasis.

When trying out the webgrid-slice from
http://www.web2pyslices.com/main/slices/take_slice/39 and also the
"Quick Table Management Snippet" from
http://www.web2pyslices.com/main/slices/take_slice/42 to develop an
interface to one of the tables containing about 168800 records python
used up all the resources on my  computer (more than 3.4G of memory)
and I had to kill the process.

In both cases I referred to the table as the datasource.

What I do not understand is that in the appadmin interface I do not
have the same problem.

How do I prevent web2py loading whole dataset into memory?  After all
what is the use of a sql database if the everything is loaded into
RAM?

Regards
Johann