By searching for "exec_environment limitations" I found a recent
thread pointing out to use

import os
os.chdir('/path/to/web2py/')
from gluon.shell import env
globals().update(env('you_app_name', import_models=True))
# now do whatever you need you can use request, db, helpers, etc.

when accessing database models from an external script. My application
contains the web2py server and scripts run from cron (Task Scheduler)
updating the database on a regular basis. One of the next steps is to
add authentication to the web2py server. I am wondering what will
happen to the independent script accessing the database tables. Will
there be any restrictions?

Regards, Andreas
baloand (at) gmail.com

PS: I second the motion to update the documentation crontab section to
mention above code snippet.