I have a design question.

I'm part of a team developing a scientific app that will allow users
to upload seismic data and apply various kinds of processing and
plotting.  It looks as though we'll need to support several different
raw data formats.  The approach we're taking for this is to convert
the data files after they're uploaded and store them in pickled python
object files referenced by entries in a db table.  All subsequent
processing would be done with the pickled objects, but users may also
want to retrieve the raw data in the original format.  So my thought
is that the uploaded data files should go into the uploads folder
using the usual web2py mechanisms and the derived object files would
be stored in the private folder.

Is that consistent with the intended purpose of the private folder?
Are there any (web2py) usage or performance issues that need to be
taken into account?

Thanks,
Mike