I was searching for a "DAL designer" and i bumped this thread.

Well you can't load your model into the sql designer. What you can do
is diagram your db table(s) in the designer than export it as xml.
Save the xml in your drive and this can be imported later for working
again with the designer.

It is frustrating to actually not find a DAL designer custom made for
web2py models when dealing with large database structure. When I
excitedly started using the designer and completed it, it was
disheartening to not see a DAL output as opposed to SQL. Well should
have been more critical on details next time.

Oh well what the heck, I will just use the sqldesigner output as a
guide for defining the DAL tables for now.