I just want to clarify, that based on what I have seen, you always get
fields. So it's not something you can avoid. Once you have multiple
forms you have duplicate IDs.

There are also multiple IDs in the form's HTML. So rather than SQLFORM
(..._id="something") I was thinking more along the lines of SQLFORM
(... _id_prefix="form22_") and then use the prefix on the front of
IDs.

There are probably ways to make this relatively painless.

I personally think web2py should do the right thing by default, for
whatever my opinion is worth (I know everyone else here has much more
invested). So I would suggest if there were a new option to SQLFORM
then something like: SQLFORM(... _use_old_id_scheme=True)... would be
best. Then those that are in Thadeus' situation could simply add the
new option and upgrade their CSS at their leisure.

But then, these kind of switches to preserve old behavior when needed
can accumulate over time. There should probably be a deprecation note
(at least) about it.

Jeremy