Perhaps you need to write your own csv export. Save a csv file to /tmp
instead and then when your finished creating your csv file then stream
it for download.

This might reduce the memory requirements? Though not sure what you
can do about the fact web2py cache's your select into memory, maybe do
it in chunks as you generate the csv file?

-Thadeus