1. I do not capitalize name because this is actually what you are
attempting to call your column, it could be 'select', 'Select',
'SELect'. It just seemed more logical to display the name that you
wrote. Though it can be capitalized. I thought you were referring to
the name of the database it was part of.

2. Yes, but then you wouldn't be able to do
self._adapter.KEYWORDS_COMMON or db._adapter.KEY.... I don't see a
reason for the following either, adding yet another import to
web2py... (though I agree, I don't like how long dal/sql.py is either)

# pseudocode
class BaseAdapter(..):
    KEYWORDS_COMMON = from keywords import KEYWORDS_COMMON

3. Good point, I agree, SyntaxError it is.

4. Its no different than the "if if hasattr(self,tablename) or
tablename[0] == '_': and if tablename in self.tables: checks that
already exist there.

5. You say that you don't want to proliferate more flags into the
web2py environment. I ask, how then would you know what database you
want to check against?

6. So all in support for target_databases for the name instead of
check_reserved?

-Thadeus