Thanks.. This is the way implemented it for those wondering:

in the model (db.py):
from gluon.fileutils import check_credentials

in the template (views/layout.html)
                {{if response.menu_edit and ( auth.has_membership(1)
or check_credentials(request)) :}}
                        <h2 class="title">{{=T('Edit This App')}}</h2>
                            {{=MENU(response.menu_edit)}}
                    {{pass}}

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on this usage.