Well if I don't have ssh access to the machine, then I can't get in
and install mercurial on it and whatnot. I also cannot host my
mercurial repositories over ssh.

I was just trying to say that, even though most users might not need
to ssh into the system, don't lock it down so it loses the ability to,
is all I'm saying.

-Thadeus