Thanks to everybody who replied.  I was in a situation where I
urgently had to make an app available to a customer.  In this case I
had access to dns-entries so I just created a virtual IP on the server
interface and created a separate domain name for that IP.  I suppose I
could just have used a CNAME too.  That will be necessary for
Alexandre's solution.

But I will not always have that privilege.  Most of the time web2py
will have to live alongside other url's like this;

http://www.domain1.com/somedomain_maybephp
http://www.domain1.com/web2py_app

I will try again the fastcgi-solution Rob is using.  From what I have
read is fastcgi not as fast as wsgi but wsgi seems to be quite tricky
to set up in such a situation.

I was near the point of deciding to stop using web2py for this very
reason.  It is so easy to deploy a php-product and sometimes so tricky
do to the same with a python-product.

Regards
Johann