On Feb 16, 2010, at 10:38 PM, Thadeus Burgess wrote:

> example.com/controllerA/function1 -> /init/controllerA/function1
> example.com/controllerA/function2 -> /init/controllerA/function2
> example.com/controllerB/function1 -> /init/controllerB/function1
> example.com/controllerB/function2 -> /init/controllerB/function2
> example.com/$anything -> /init/defaultController/$anything
> dashboard.example.com/function1 -> /init/dashboard/function1
> dashboard.example.com/function2 -> /init/dashboard/function2
> dashboard.example.com/$anything -> /init/dashboard/$anything
>
> Any of the above URLS should work.
>
> You should NOT be able to do the following, dashboard controller
> should only be accessed by this single subdomain.
>
> !example.com/init/dashboard/function1
>
> I don't care if I have to declare every controller in routes... I
> would have to do that in django/werkzeug/ruby/php/etc. I'm ready for
> web2py to get out of my way and let me do what I want to do.
>
> When I said rewrite hostname I ment to redirect a single hostname to a
> single web2py controller. This is the same concept as example1.com
> goes to app1 and example2.com goes to app2, but on the controller
> level instead of app level! (because the controllers share models)
>
> Hopefully this gets my point across.

Would you repost the routes.py code that you think should accomplish the above?
I think it should be doable.

I think what you want in routes_in is:

1. handle any other apps explicitly (admin, for example)
2. if the subdomain is dashboard, prefix init/dashboard
3. if the controller is now dashboard, it's an error
4. everything else gets passed through

Then in routes_out:

1. strip init/dashboard
2. strip init

The only problem I see is routes_in step 3 above: you don't want to allow an
access of the form example.com/dashboard/function, because it's ambiguous on
output. If that's not a problem though....