I have done something like this in the past with cron where the script
first checked whether another instance is already running.  If an
instance was found to be running the new instance was halted.  It may
not be the cleanest way but it allowed me to use what was available on
that system at the time.

Wayne

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 3:06 PM, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> I would not use cron for this. cron starts a job at reguar intervals
> but in background processing you do know that the previous task was
> completed. I would just make a loop that extract a "todo" task from
> database queue and sleeps if not task.
>
> You can use  cron @reboot to make sure this one task starts with the
> app.
>
> On Feb 18, 2:35 pm, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I like this, I can simply insert sleep statements to keep it from
>> being to aggressive with this approach.
>>
>> Would this be best in system cron?
>>
>> On Feb 18, 1:31 pm, mdipierro <mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
>>
>> > I would run a separate process
>>
>> > web2py.py -S yourapp -M -R yourscript.py

> --

Wayne Pierce
Phone: 414.208.0808
Blog: http://xri.net/=Pierce/(+blog)