On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Kuba Kucharski <kuba.kuchar...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think short answer is this is allowed.
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/web2py/2009-09/msg01859.html
>
> --
> Kuba

You are right. But I still have doubts.
The way I see it if company X is selling access to some SaaS application.
Let's say an on-line personal finance manager, and changes nothing in the
web2py code:
* it is not redistributing anything (web2py or app)
* It is not claiming to have built web2py
* It is charging money for usage of the personal finance functionality.

Is it clear to the user it's not charging money for the framework? I think
so. Because, from the user's point of view, it seems irrelevant which is the
underlying framework.

Let's say that company X contracted someone (me? :-) to develop their app.
For company X it's clear that web2py is GPL'ed that they are only paying for
the app code.

I'm not a lawyer and I suppose most of you are not too, but what is your
view on this.

Also, I would like to mention that I addressed this post to Massimo because,
being the original author, I suppose he his in a good position to clarify
this question. But I think, this could be a relevant subject to other people
in the community.

Miguel