Then no auth would mean no plugins.  What if an attribute was added to
DAL to let the user specify:
db = DAL('...')
db.plugin_db = True

Then create a global plugin_db object for the plugins to use. All
plugins could then assume:
db = plugin_db
or just use plugin_db directly

There may be a better way but the point is that it would be
configurable. Users could dedicate a separate DAL instance for their
plugins so they don't pollute databases containing important business
objects.