I'm basically just having problems that Thadeus seemed to have
described above.

I'm trying to use the ajax() function but it seems like an entire page
is being fed into the target rather than a string I'm returning.

This is in my view,

[<span onclick="ajax('vote_yay', ['sreq_id'],
'sreq{{=sreq.id}}');">Vote Yay</a>]

The function vote_yay returns a string. However, doesn't seem like the
function is being executed and an entire page is fed into the target.

Is it still OK to use the ajax function? Sorry for hijacking the
thread btw :/