I'm experiencing a similar issue, seemingly because dev_appserver.py
does not support https.
If I try to use https, I get a lot of (presumably ssl) binary stuff in
the log and the browser gives me:
"ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR"

If I try to use appadmin (working on the real GAE) locally, I'm
presented with:
 "appadmin is disabled because insecure channel"

Which is half right. Yes, it is not using https, but it is running on
localhost, so that should not be a problem.
Something in the dev_appserver.py must be confusing the localhost-
detection mechanism.

A simple patch of appadmin.py fixes this. Line 31:
    elif (remote_addr not in hosts) and (remote_addr != "127.0.0.1"):
I have added the second test, which should be redundant, but on local
GAE breaks.

This is a bit of a cludge, what should be done is to fix the hosts
list to work on GAE, but I'll leave that to someone far more competent
than me!

Hope this helps someone,
Tris