true you have a choice but they are all the same:

class FORM it is built on helpers
class SQLFORM(FORM) extends a FORM

crud.update and crud.create are just two functions that to

form=SQLFORM(...)
if form.accepts(...):....
return form

so they return a SQLFORM with is a FORM and which can be manipulated
as any other helper, for example

form=crud.create(db.mytable)
form.element(_name='myfield')['_class']='myclass'

(it adds a class 'myclass' to the INPUT field for field 'myfield')