Also remember that web2py is GPL. So your application becomes GPL (if it wasn't already) by importing the DAL.

-tim

On 3/5/2010 1:34 PM, compassiontara wrote:
On Mar 5, 6:17 am, mdipierro<mdipie...@cs.depaul.edu>  wrote:
On Mar 5, 1:33 am, compassiontara<t...@birl.org>  wrote:

I'll probably get flamed for talking about this...
Hope not. You have a very good example.
Just as a side, you do not necessarily need to copy web2py for the
script to work, just add 'gluon' to sys.path.
Thanks!  this is correct, you can just add gluon to your sys.path, but
web2py doesn't by default install itself in the system path(s).  So
unless I'm missing something you can't use setuptools to require
web2py, and leech from there (it would be nice if you could), but that
would require changing how gluon import's itself to reference itself
instead of assuming everything is local.
i.e. instead of:
     import poralocker
it would be:
     from gluon import portalocker

This does require that gluon be part of sys.path, which would then
encourage a 'setup.py' or similar to copy it over.  Then it would be
much easier for external code to use gluon as a library module, and
avoid mucking about with sys.path all the time.

Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible.

With Love,
Tara