I would like to add what was NOT discussed.
1) convention for a plugin to store variables in sessions
2) convention for plugin-defined table names
3) mechanism of hooks for plugin to register stuff with the app (for
example change the menu)

Right now:
1) session.plugin_<name>.variable OR session.plugin_<name>_variable?
2) db.plugin_<name>_tablename
while for input
plugins.<name>.configuration_parameter

we have nothing about 3.