I will define the model approach as A and the modules approach as B.

They both have pros and cons. file A follows more along the web2py
idioms, in being implicit, your functions are just there, but on this
same token you have namespace pollution, and a functional programming
style. file B is designed after Admin. It allows you to pass named
objects instead of it relying on your global namespace. You can
initialize it at any time, when YOU want, but at the cost of having to
be explicit. You also get the benefit of inheritance, so you can
define a plugin that inherits an existing plugin but includes extra
functionality.

It really depends on your style of programming. I was raised Java, I
have the object oriented model ingrained in me, and struggle with this
"functional" programming style. Obviously I prefer method B because it
is more natural for me. Web applications by design have a functional
pattern, as does web2py, so A makes "sense" to be preferred.

I also think it really depends on what kind of plugin you are
developing. Certain things make more sense as one or the other. I
mainly did both A and B to see if it could be done with both, and
which one I preferred.

-Thadeus