Thadeus is right. We have gone over this before. We should use the
work plugins ONLY for the current mechanism and use a more specific
name for other types of objects people now refer to as plugins.

When I think about hooks I think of a CMS app for example and I would
like to see a subset of current plugins designed specifically for a
CSM app.

You are thinking of web2py hooks, something that never occurred to me.
What kind of hooks would you like web2py to expose and how?

Massimo