The latest version of pyrtf on sourceforge (as indicated in the
apendix of the web2py book: http://pyrtf.sourceforge.net) is 0.45,
however the one included in gluon/contrib is indicated as 0.46
(according to the README).
Did this come from some other place, or is that version update because
of the differences made for web2py?

I fixed a problem with RTF files switching to landscape mode and also
implemented rendering of Unicode strings ( by splitting the non-ascii
characters out into RawCode elements ).
Of course only after doing so I found out that similar solutions have
been implemented in pyrtfng which is hosted on Launchpad (
https://launchpad.net/pyrtf )
That project also replaced the image reading code (for PNG and JPG )
with Python Image Library.

What I would like to know is what the changes by Grant Edwards were so
I can check that these are in pyrtfng as well.