I guess I have misinterpreted this code from my db.py which was part
of the web2py distro that I uncommented. The comments within the code
stated the sessions would be stored in memcache.

try:
    from gluon.contrib.gql import *  # if running on Google App Engine
except:
    db = SQLDB('sqlite://storage.db')  # if not, use SQLite or other
DB
else:
    db = GQLDB()  # connect to Google BigTable
    #session.connect(request, response, db=db)  # and store sessions
there
    # or use the following lines to store sessions in Memcache
    from gluon.contrib.memdb import MEMDB
    from google.appengine.api.memcache import Client
    session.connect(request, response, db=MEMDB(Client()))

    from gluon.contrib.gae_memcache import MemcacheClient
    cache.ram=cache.disk=MemcacheClient(request)