That's a good point.  I can only think of two possible implications:
- Possible deprecated messages on the console (would not show up in production though) - It will allow 2.6 syntax whereas production would not (so you would have to be careful)

Neither of these would be blockers for me if I were in your situation, but you are, of course, free to make your own conclusion.

-tim