Thankfully, I have received a decent amount of interest in the web2py
app that I've launched on Google App Engine here:

http://opensourcebroadcasting.appspot.com/pledgedrives

Now, my question is what is the best way to distinguish between Paid/
Preferred users from people who are casually checking out the app.

As it stands, all users can incur an unlimited of page views /
bandwidth / computing time (short of the billing threshold I've set up
within the app engine billing console).

Would one approach be to have a session variable count the number of
page views per day across the entire app, and limit its use for unpaid
users?  Could something like this be done without modifying the
table_user table?

What are the best, proven approaches, that people have used to
differentiate casual users from people who have paid for a service
using web2py?

Thanks kindly,  JT