Thadeus -

I initially commiserated with you:  "backward compatipility is
backward compatibility" --- but I alwasy thought Massimo held on to
that phrase too strongly, too tightly.   It's important for the "big"
things, but it _always_ gets in the way of meaningful, useful
change...

I think perhaps Massimo's bordering on being dogmatic about "backward
compatibiliy" may have an affect on how people react to this.

But Jonathan gives an important insight:   "I always specify zero=..."

Even as "zero=..."  didn't exist before, it's easy enough to do
globeal search and modify to put it in - it's _really_ not a big
deal;  it's one of those things where dogmatically holding to the
"compatability principle" is more trouble than adapting to this
change.  If it was happening all the time, often... this would be
annoying;   but occasionally, it is more than tolerable - it can even
be a good thing, in the big scheme of things.

You are, of course, free to see it in whatever way you happen to see
it.  I'm just offering a summary of a counterpoint for consideration.

Kind regards,
Yarko