That's how it is. There are historical reasons for it.

select().as_dict(...) was designed to return a representation that
could be serialized by simplejson and other serializers. simplejson
cannot serialize date/datetime/time objects. This is no longer the
case since I patched simplejson.

row.as_dict() is instead used internally to compare two records.

I think we can change one or the other and make them consistent. What
do people think?

Massimo