I've had the same problem ("unable to create application") on Ubuntu
JeOS 8.04.3 configured as shown at http://vimeo.com/10377947 [
web2py production deployment on vps.net (VIDEO) by mdipierro].
Ubuntu fully upgraded, web2py installed using setup-web2py-ubuntu.sh
script.
Running web2py from console once, resolved the problem.
IMHO the source of problem is absence of web2py/deposit and web2py/
site-packages directories.
mdipierro - web2py rox! :)
-- ciastek