Hi Giovanni,

I had the same problem and here is my simple solution:

model.py:
from gluon.dal import DAL, Field

db = DAL("sqlite://storage.db")

db.define_table("reference",
          Field("name", "string", notnull=True),
          Field("L", "double"),
          Field("a", "double"),
          Field("b", "double"))

myApp.py:
from model import db

rows = db().select(db.reference.ALL)

for row in rows:
    print row.name, row.L, row.a, row.b, "\n"

If you want to use a model file from a existing web2py application
without adding the import statement (from gluon.dal import DAL,
Field). You could import the model like this:

model.py:
db = DAL("sqlite://storage.db")

db.define_table("reference",
          Field("name", "string", notnull=True),
          Field("L", "double"),
          Field("a", "double"),
          Field("b", "double"))

myApp.py:
from gluon.dal import DAL, Field

model = open("/Users/mhufsky/Desktop/model.py", "rb")
exec model
model.close()

rows = db().select(db.reference.ALL)

for row in rows:
    print row.name, row.L, row.a, row.b, "\n"

In my app I prefer the import method.

Hint: To get same output you should first insert something to the db.
Hint2: The db is stored in the working directory. You could specify a
other folder relative to the working dir or absolute (starting
with /):
db = DAL("sqlite://storage.db", folder="/path/to/Folder")

Martin