I don't think upgrading will help much since Cherrypy was also slow. However, doing so would help cover all your bases.

If you want to use the http log from Rocket you can do this. I'm assuming you invoke web2py.py from a bash script or just run it manually. Paste the following code into the top of web2py.py

import  logging
import  logging.handlers
log  =  logging.getLogger('Rocket.Requests')
log.setLevel(logging.INFO)
log.addHandler(logging.handlers.FileHandler('rocket.log')

I, like Yarko, do think this has more to do with something else. At one point web2py had a profiler built-in. That could be a good tool for finding slow spots.

-tim