What I want to do: have a list of items displayed; when one is clicked,
more detail is shown (via an Ajax call) in a defined "detail area".

Problem: the web2py ajax call takes three parameters: a controller action,
one or more field ids, and a target DIV. My controller action needs to
identify which row has been clicked on, so I need a hidden field per row
that holds the row number. Because all field ids need to be unique, I
actually have to build a dynamic name for the row id (eg,
"id=row_{{=row.number}}, name=row_{{=row.number}}"), and - even worse - my
controller action doesn't know the name of the field passed, so it has to
parse response.vars to find it.

Web2py and Python in general are so well architected that I know there
must be a better way. Could someone point it out, please?

Thanks.