I think I got it to work! I deleted the domain from the control panel
altogether and then readded it, and web2py 1.76.5 started working.
Problem solved for the time being. I don't know what what the exact
cause though.

And the problem with Unicode characters is also gone, because it only
existed in a much older version of web2py 1.39.

--
Alexei Vinidiktov