Why don't you just keep a last_activity date? Also, the auth event log
keeps track of the last login automatically. Why not check it to see
what it's doing regarding last login when user has the "remember"
checkbox checked? Technically, if it's checked, they're not logging
in, right? Can you better articulate what you are really trying to
measure?