Yah I hear ya. I love Debian for being rock-solid stable (not to mention that I cut my Linux teeth on it) but man is it OLD!

I've had good luck with Ubuntu. I try to stick with Linux systems that use DEBs. I've been burned too many times by RPM-dependency hell!

There's always Gentoo! No such thing as a clean installation...you just get used to it. =)

Good Luck
-tim