OK Thadeus & Massimo,

I agree now that you're right that the way to do it is as you showed
using SQLFORM.factory and then a custom form. Then do my own form
validation etc. and forget using the default registration code.

Doing the custom controller is the same as any other controller and
gives you all the control and flexibility you need. I guess I was just
being lazy.

Thanks again,

Richard