Taken from http://web2py.com/book/default/section/7/2?search=original+filename

Occasionally you may want to store the original filename in a database
field. In this case, you need to modify the model and add a field to
store it in:

db.define_table('person',
    Field('name', requires=IS_NOT_EMPTY()),
    Field('image_filename'),
    Field('image', 'upload'))

def display_form():
    if len(request.args):
        records = db(db.person.id==request.args[0]).select()
    if len(request.args) and len(records):
        url = URL(r=request, f='download')
        form = SQLFORM(db.person, records[0], deletable=True,
                   upload=url, fields=['name', 'image'])
    else:
        form = SQLFORM(db.person, fields=['name', 'image'])
    if request.vars.image:
        form.vars.image_filename = request.vars.image.filename
    if form.accepts(request.vars, session):
        response.flash = 'form accepted'
    elif form.errors:
        response.flash = 'form has errors'